The province of Antwerp has always been an important engine for food production in the Flanders region. Differences in soil and specialisation have led to a very diverse agricultural and horticultural landscape. To support the sector, throughout the years, 4 practice research facilities have been established across the province, in areas where they had a close link to farmers.
The 4 stations, each in their area of expertise, provide a broad range of services to individual farmers, farmers associations, suppliers to the farming sector, local communities, society as a whole and policy makers. They are set up to mirror installations, tools and management practices used in their field and have solid expertise in applied agricultural and horticultural research for plant and animal production including field and greenhouse vegetables, strawberries, feed crops, poultry (broilers and layers) and dairy cattle. They are staffed with technical experts and highly skilled researchers who lead and participate in regional, national and European projects to develop, pilot, demonstrate and disseminate knowledge on best in class practices, materials, products and equipment for crop protection, nutrition, precision agriculture, varieties, mechanisation, digitisation, reduction of emissions, efficient use of resources and energy, reduction of impact on the environment, agroecology, young stock, reduction of the use of antibiotics, animal welfare and health,...
To enhance synergies between the stations, increase the exchange of knowledge, tackle common challenges, strengthen the depth and width of the research activities and make best use of the capabilities of the pool of researchers, a cooperation platform, AGHRANT, was formed. AGHRANT strives for a close collaboration between the research stations and brings their European cooperation and project development and participation to the next level. This results in lead and partner roles in a continuous string of highly successful European projects.
AGHRANT partners are part of Agrolink Flanders.
- Life ACLIMA: July 2021 - June 2026
- Horizon 2020: Soildiver Agro: June 2019 – May 2024
- Horizon 2020: B-WaterSmart: June 2020 – May 2024
- Interreg North Sea: Soilcom: February 2019 – January 2023
- Interreg NWE: Fabulous Farmers: January 2019 – January 2023
- Interreg NWE: MiteControl: October 2018 – August 2023
- Interreg NWE: UV-ROBOT: September 2017 – November 2023
- Interreg VL-NL: NITROMAN: December 2019 – November 2022
Projects we have accomplished:
- Horizon 2020: AEMON (Smart Agri Hubs): March 2019 – November 2021
- Horizon 2020: EURAKNOS: January 2019 – March 2021
- Horizon 2020: Nefertiti: January 2018 – December 2021
- Horizon 2020: SUWANU Europe: January 2019 – June 2021
- Interreg VL-NL: Glitch: June 2018 – May 2021
- Interreg VL-NL: GROW!: January 2018 – December 2020
- Interreg VL-NL: RECUPA: April 2019 – March 2022
- Interreg VL-NL: Smart Growers: October 2019 – September 2022
- Interreg 2seas: Horti-BlueC: February 2018 – October 2021
- Poultry (broilers and layers)
- Greenhouse vegetables and strawberies
- Field and greenhouse vegetables
- Dairy cattle, feed crops and rural development